ECOTOURISM KENYA ANNOUNCES ‘ECOWARRIORS 2016‘ IN GRAND FINALE TO MAGICAL KENYA TRAVEL EXPO
(Posted 15th October 2016)
Ecotourism Kenya last evening announced the winners for this year’s edition of the Eco Warrior Awards. The scheme recognizes innovations and leadership in responsible tourism.
The Gala Dinner saw Kenya tourism’s who is who in attendance at the Radisson Blu Grand Ballroom, where the hotel pulled out all stops to provide a food spread rarely seen on such occasions.
The winners were announced during the course of the evening’s proceedings alongside massive raffle prices which were sponsored by companies from across Kenya’s tourism attractions at the coast and in the safari parks. The top prizes came with air tickets to the respective locations included, courtesy of Safarilink, with perennial rivals Air Kenya notably absent on the night.
(Jim receiving his award from KTB’s CEO Jacinta Nzioka)
Notably were two additional individuals honoured last night, one of them Kenya’s ‘Elephant Man‘Jim Justus Nyamu, who had just days earlier completed a walk across the five East African member countries spanning more than 3.200 kilometres to draw attention to the plight of the African elephant population and the urgent need to afford the remaining herds greater protection.
(The trophies waiting for their new ‘owners’ to be announced)
When the 13 winners were eventually announced by Chief Judge Mrs. Judy Kepher-Gona, the following companies and individuals were awarded trophies and can now brag about being an ‘Eco Warrior‘ for the entire year.
- PRIVATE CONSERVANCY OF THE YEAR 2016
• Ol Pejeta Conservancy
- COMMUNITY CONSERVANCY OF THE YEAR 2016
- The Ol Lentille Conservancy
- ECORATED FACILITY OF THE YEAR 2016 – LODGE
- Tawi Lodge
- ECORATED FACILITY OF THE YEAR 2016 – TENTED CAMP
• Porini Amboseli Safari Camp
- ECORATED FACILITY OF THE YEAR 2016 – HOTEL/SERVICED APARTMENTS
• Serena Beach Resort and Spa
- ECOTOURISM COMMUNITY OWNED ENTERPRISE OF THE YEAR 2016
• Mlilo Community Based Tourism Association
- ECOTOURISM TOUR/TRAVEL OPERATOR OF THE YEAR 2016
• Uniglobe Let’s Go Travel
- SAFARI GUIDE OF THE YEAR 2016
• Paul Kirui – Independent
- ECOTOURISM TRAINING INSTITUTION OF THE YEAR 2016
• Kenya Wildlife Service Training Institute
- ECOTOURISM SAFARI AIRLINE OF THE YEAR 2016
• Safarilink Aviation
- ECOTOURISM JOURNALIST OF THE YEAR 2016
• Irine Muchama – KBC
- ECOTOURISM BLOGGER OF THE YEAR 2016
• Susan Wong
- ECOTOURISM STUDENT HOST ORGANIZATION OF THE YEAR 2016
· Heritage Hotels Ltd
Congratulations to all the winners, all the runner ups, all the finalists and all those who put themselves forward or allowed themselves to be nominated and be subjected to a rigorous audit by the team of judges, all with sustainability and eco friendliness in mind.