FLAVIEN JOUBERT HONOURED AND RECOGNIZED THROUGH ADDED APPOINTMENT
(Posted 22nd August 2016)
In 2012 was the Principal of the Seychelles Tourism Academy, in short STA, sent on an overseas mission to Oman to represent the Ministry of Tourism and Culture and the Seychelles Tourism Academy (STA).
Objectives of the mission were to:-
- Sign a memorandum of understanding between the Seychelles Tourism Academy (STA) and the Oman Tourism College (OTC) for exchanges of Lecturers, exchanges of students, exchanges of teaching and learning materials.
- Exchanges in the development of curriculum, training programmes, conduct combined research in Tourism development, sustainable tourism etc…
- Met with the Head of the Tourism Committee of the Oman Chamber of Commerce to discuss common grounds on tourism development, training, marketing and Human Resources Development in the Hospitality and Tourism business.
- Exchanges and collaboration in Tourism Research, encouraging citizens of each other’s country trained in the field of Hospitality and Tourism to pursue this career as both Oman and the Seychelles are small countries and depends a lot on expatriate workers.
- Organise for the Oman Chamber of Commerce’ members to meet and collaborate with the Seychelles Chamber of Commerce’ members and to collaborate on projects, to work together etc…
- Encourage members of the Oman Chamber to visit the Seychelles and consider areas of cooperation etc…with business and professional partners.
- Meet with her Excellency Maitha Saif Al Marougi the Under Secretary for the Ministry of Oman Tourism to discuss Hospitality and Tourism Human Resources Development.
Invite her Excellency to visit the Seychelles to meet with various Ministries, Chairperson of the Seychelles Chamber of Commerce, CEO of companies, Hotels and General Managers, the Minister for Tourism and Culture and Tourism partners.
Visit Hospitality and Tourism facilities which Seychelles offers.
- In 2013, Her Excellency visited the Seychelles and Principal Seychelles Tourism Academy (STA) facilitates everything in (g) above. She stayed for five days and with her was a delegation of five persons.
- Principal’s visit also allowed him to meet with the President of the Oman Tourism Development Authority (Omran).
‘Omran’ facilitates and oversees the development of Tourism, events and leisure facilities, infrastructures in Oman.
Principal Joubert’s nine days mission in Oman was facilitated by his Excellency Sheik Said Nasser Al Khusaibi who is a board member of the Indian Ocean Rim and the Honorary Consul of Seychelles in Oman.
From 2012 onwards has Principal Joubert been working, collaborating and exchanging professionally with his Excellency Sheik Said Nasser Al Khusaibi who appreciated and valued the excellent professional relations with the Seychelles Tourism Academy. It is in this respect that when his Excellency Sheik Nasser Al Khusaibi was recently appointed as the Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Indian Ocean Tourism Organisation (IOTO) based in Oman early this year that he recommended that Principal Joubert be considered for an appointment as a member of the Board of Directors. This was approved in April 2016.
As from April 2016, Principal Flavien Joubert from the Seychelles is now a permanent member of the Board of Directors of IOTO which is based in Oman. Countries which are IOTO members are the UAE, Oman, Singapore, Australia, Malaysia, India, Maldives, Sri Lanka, Mauritius, Kenya, South Africa, Seychelles and some EU and the American countriess as supporting members.
Apart from Tourism Development, Marketing, Investment, Training, Tourism cooperation, Mr. Joubert’s role as a Board Member is very important for the Seychelles. As a patriotic Seychellois he will ensure that the voice of the Seychelles is listened to, the voice is heard, votes for any projects will be geared towards the Seychelles requests and Seychelles’ recommendations will be very well supported by fellow board members..
Said Mr. Joubert to this correspondent when passing the news: ‘During my mandate, I will ensure that Seychelles is fully visible amongst all IOTO member countries and the supporting members‘.
Besides relations with the STA counterpart in Oman has the Seychelles Tourism Academy, as reported here before, also signed MoU’s with similar institutions in China, Malta, Ireland and a range of other countries, all of which benefit lecturers, teachers, administrative staff and in particular students through exchange programmes.